African proverbs are much more than artistic sayings. They symbolise real life situations in just a few words that show great meaning. Here are 10 African proverbs relating to Community and Unity.
In cultures, historically without literature, proverbs gave an understanding of cultural values and historical insights. Consisting of rhyme or clever allusions they are entertaining, historically popular and remain popular in African culture today.
- Unity is strength, division is weakness. – Swahili proverb
- Cross the river in a crowd and the crocodile won’t eat you. – African proverb
- Many hands make light work. – Haya (Tanzania) proverb
- Where there are many, nothing goes wrong. – Swahili proverb
- Two ants do not fail to pull one grasshopper. – Tanzanian proverb
- It takes a village to raise a child. – African proverb
- A single bracelet does not jingle. – Congolese proverb
- A single stick may smoke, but it will not burn. – African proverb
- If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. – African proverb
- Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable. – Bondei prover
Send us your African proverbs to info@TheNews.mw