Africa’s Muslim population by country

0
313
1008px-Sumatra_meulaboh_mosque
050107-N-5376G-005.Meulaboh, Sumatra, Indonesia (Jan. 7, 2005) – A Navy HH-60H Seahawk helicopter, assigned to the “Golden Falcons” of Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Two (HS-2), delivers relief supplies at a mosque in the town of Meulaboh on the Island of Sumatra, Indonesia. Helicopters assigned to Carrier Air Wing Two (CVW-2) and Sailors from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) are supporting Operation Unified Assistance, the humanitarian operation effort in the wake of the Tsunami that struck South East Asia. The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is currently operating in the Indian Ocean off the waters of Indonesia and Thailand. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 3rd Class Benjamin D. Glass (RELEASED) .

1. Mauritania

Mauritania established itself as the Islamic Republic after it gained sovereignty in 1960.

The 1985 Constitutional Charter identifies Islam as the state religion and Sharia as the law of the land.

2. Somalia

99.8% of Somalis profess the Islamic faith, and they are Sunni Muslims.

3. Algeria

99% of Algerians are Muslims, and they observe Sunni Islam and the Maliki School of jurisprudence.

Islam provides the Algerian society with its central cultural and social identity.

4. Morocco

99% of Morocco’s inhabitants observe Islam, and they are Sunni in the Maliki school of thought.

5. Tunisia

98% of Tunisians adhere to the Islamic faith.

The Tunisian Constitution requires that the country’s president be Muslim and it appoints the government as the “guardian of religion.”

6. Comoros

98% 0f the inhabitants of Comoros are Muslims; most of whom are Sunni adhering the Shafi’i school of thought.

Hundreds of mosques populate the islands in addition to many madrassahs.

7. Mayotte

97% of the residents of Mayotte are Muslims while the rest 3% profess Christianity.

8. Sudan

The Muslim community in Sudan is estimated to be 97% of its population.

Muslims have a dominant presence in all of the regions except the Nuba Mountains region.

9. Libya

Approximately 96.6% of Libyans follow the Islamic faith and particularly the Sunni branch.

10. Senegal

94% of Senegal’s population are Muslims, and they mainly observe Sunni Islam of the Maliki school of thought featuring Sufi influences.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here