Is sparkling water bad or good for you?



While most people know they should drink more water, it can be a bit boring. So what about sparkling water as an option to liven things up a bit? After all, sparkling water is just as good as normal water, right? Not quite.

  1. Fizzy fluids

Sparkling water is made by infusing water with carbon dioxide. This produces carbonic acid with a weak acidic pH of between three and four.

That “feel good” mouth sensation you get after sipping a carbonated drink is in fact the chemical activation of pain receptors on your tongue responding to this acid, giving a moreish taste. And here’s part of the problem, as the acid in drinks can harm our teeth.


2. Bad for teeth?

This demineralization creates tiny pores in the tooth mineral and the enamel starts to dissolve. If teeth are bathed in acid from carbonated drinks frequently, more minerals can be dissolved out than get put back in, and there is more risk of tooth wear or erosion


3. Pure water

Even when sparkling water is drunk alongside food or meals, there is no difference in how quickly the stomach will empty compared to still water.

Scientifically, it is difficult to measure hunger and fullness, which means that studies investigating these are based on, or influenced by, people’s personal feelings – and naturally us humans are all very different.

4. Bottled water is big business. 

The NHS advises drinking between six to eight glasses of fluid per day. When it comes to trying to increase your fluid intake, still water is still the preferred option.

But if a glass of water is not really your thing, sparkling water can help you stay hydrated and can be a tasty alternative to plain water – but just be mindful of how frequently you drink it for your dental health.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here