The population of Africa is incredibly diverse, made up of innumerable tribes and people of many social and ethnic groups. Some of these groups are made up of just a few thousand people while others consist of millions of people. Each group usually has its own language and culture
- There are an estimated 3,000 tribes/groups in Africa.
- There are over 2100 languages spoken in Africa (some estimate over 3000 languages).
- Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism are the main religions practised. However many of the people practice traditional African religions. Some practice these alongside Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism. Judaism is also present in many parts of Africa.
- The people of Africa have more physical variations than any other continent.
- The average life expectancy in Africa ranges from 74 years in Mauritius to approximately 32 years in Swaziland.
- The shortest people in the world, the pygmies, live in Africa. The average man is 1.45 m (4.34 feet) and the average women are 1.33 m (4 feet).
- Some Sudanese tribes are among the tallest people (on average) in the world. In some of the tribes, the average height of a man is six feet and four inches, whereas for women it is six feet.