African proverbs are much more than artistic sayings. They symbolise real life situations in just a few words that show great meaning. Here are 10 African proverbs relating to friendship.
In cultures, historically without literature, proverbs gave an understanding of cultural values and historical insights. Consisting of rhyme or clever allusions they are entertaining, historically popular and remain popular in African culture today.
- Show me your friend and I will show you your character – African proverb
- To be without a friend is to be poor indeed – Tanzanian proverb
- Hold a true friend with both hands – African proverb
- The friends of our friends are our friends – Congolese proverb
- A friend is someone you share the path with – African proverb
Show me your friend and I will show you your character – African proverb
- Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you – African proverb
- Between true friends even water drunk together is sweet enough – African proverb
- A small house will hold a hundred friends – African proverb
- A close friend can become a close enemy – African proverb
- Bad friends will prevent you from having good friends – Gabon proverb
Here are some more proverbs you might enjoy
African Proverbs: 10 African Proverbs about Community and Unity
African Proverbs: 13 African Proverbs about Wisdom
African Proverbs: 21 African Proverbs about Food
What’s your favourite proverb, email it to us firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Regina Maere (see all)
- Malawi, understanding the judicial, executive and legislative system - 2, February 2019
- Lucius Banda the politician politician [profile, video] - 30, January 2019
- Who is Tay Grin? Music artist, businessman, politician. [profile, video] - 25, January 2019
I was born in Mangochi and educated in Dedza at Umbwi Secondary School, Following Secondary School I attended The Institute of Journalism, Lilongwe. Inspired by great writers, with a passion for writing it is my ambition to inspire others too through writing.