Mzuni through to Airtel semis


MZUNI Football Club has progressed to the semi finals of the Airtel top 8 cup on away goal rule after it ended 1-1 against Civil Sporting Club in the second leg of the quarter final match played at the CIVO stadium on Sunday afternoon.

From kick off the Civil servants took advantage of playing at home and were quick to settle in the game and enjoyed a lion’s share of possession in the first fifteen minutes but failed to create a clear goal scoring opportunity.

MZUNI reorganized themselves and started putting pressure on the home side but the servant’s defense lead by captain Emmanuel Zoya cleared every threat posed by the green intellectuals.

With four minutes to the break, Civil Sporting Club striker Raphael Phiri failed to head home a corner kick after he was left free in the box that it was goalless at half time.

In the second half, both teams raised the tempo of the game as they searched for goals but in the 48th minute the visitors made a forced substitution bringing in Charles Nkhoma for Ramadhan Mtafu who sustained an injury.

Both sides created chances but their strikers were wasteful until the 83rd minute when Lanken Mwale scored for the servants to take the lead.

Straight from restart after conceding the goal ,MZUNI scored an equalizer through Maxwell Gasten which they defended until the 90th minute.

After the game MZUNI Football Club Gilbert Chirwa was happy his team had made history.
“I’m extremely happy that we have made it to the semi finals as it was our dream and we have made history as we don’t do well in cup games so this win has opened a new chapter and we will encourage the boys to do better.

“The way Civil performed in Mzuzu, we saw their weaknesses and we told the boys to come here and fight after conceding the goal I told the boys not to lose hope and we equalized”, Chirwa said.

Franco Ndawa who is coach for Civil Sporting Club was short of words after failing to progress to the next round of the competition.

“It’s unfortunate we are out but we will concentrate in the Super League… the moment we scored the goal we relaxed at the back and our friends capitalised on that and here we are down after 90 minutes”, Ndawa said.

The first leg of the quarter finals ended goalless last week in Mzuzu and with MZUNI progressing they completely the first semi finals pair as they will face Karonga United.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here