1. Never Underestimate How Far a Few French Words Can Go
The French always say they are pretty bad at languages but a lot of people do speak English and will try to practice when they also know that you do.
2. Never Wave Wildly at a Waiter to Get Their Attention
If they don’t come soon, but are nearby, then make eye contact or raise a slight hand.
3. Try Not to Speak Louder Than Everyone Else, Particularly at Night
The French are pretty respectful of other people when it comes to noise levels.
4. Never Leave Your Cell Phone Out When Having a Coffee/Meal With Friends
But it’s socially unacceptable to have your phone on the table as if you’re waiting for a call.
It’s the height of rudeness, as if you don’t want to be there.
5. Don’t Expect a Big Savory Breakfast
The French don’t really do breakfast in a big way. And it’s very sweet in taste.
7. Never Assume Cars Will Stop at Pedestrian Crossings
If you want to cross and no one stops, you have to signal your intent, start moving but ensure they’ve seen you and are slowing down before you step out.
8. Never Expect Things to be Open on Sundays
The French are well known for keeping “family time” intact and Sundays is often the day when people see family.
9. Never Expect a Party to Start at the Allocated Time
If someone says a party starts at 8pm, it’s likely that you might be the only one there at that time.